Monday, December 13, 2010

Jay and Nick

This week’s blog is what I think about the relationship between Jay Gatsby and Nick.  I really think that their relationship is based off the fact that Nick is Daisy’s cousin.  I think that’s why Gatsby even started to notice Nick.  But I also think that the two developed a stronger relationship over time.  Gatsby was only talking to Nick in the beginning because of Daisy but after a while he realized that they really were getting along and now they both are friends.  I say this because if Nick didn’t know Daisy, Gatsby wouldn’t have even looked at Nick.  There are many situations in which they are friends, such as when Nick went to check up on Gatsby when he seen all of his house lights on.  Also in chapter 6 or 7, Tom calls Gatsby a bootlegger and Nick stands up for Gatsby.  They also have a lot in common.  Gatsby even offers to give him a better job and to have his lawn cut.  But we also can’t hide the fact that Jay Gatsby might just be using Nick in order to get closer to his cousin Daisy.  Because even though they hang out and talk Gatsby’s main focus is Daisy.  I really can’t wait to find out how this friendship ends up. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. Gatsby wouldn't have noticed someone like Nick who is not in the wealthy circle. He only got an eye for him becuse who his family is. But I do think they did however they did develop a relationship over time.

    ReplyDelete